Sunday, October 18, 2009

A New Hobby!




Totally recommend it! If you enjoy taking hikes with friends and family ... even your dog. Some are accessible on bike rides... if you want to get out and enjoy the great outdoors... if you are looking for something that is typically FREE... this is the hobby for you!
*cost could apply for getting in to areas such as state parks where a fee may be applied to entering the park.

Yesterday I went to Wadsworth Falls State Park with my girl scout troop to find out what this letterboxing hobby was all about. I had briefly heard about it and have heard of people doing it on facebook but didn't know exactly where to start or what I was supposed to do. The ladies who led the excursion were WONDERFUL and completely KNOWLEDGABLE about the park and the trees and everything. We learned about different kinds of Oak trees, Hemlock, and of course the STATE Flower of CONNECTICUT!
The GIANT Mountain Laurel which is also an EVERGREEN! This is the same one we saw only I didnt get a picture because a million other little girls from other troops were sitting on it! This tree was somewhere between 200 and 300 years old!
We saw some poison ivy vines which I never would have known what it was and would have reached out to touch it because it looked so soft and nice to touch...

and in the same area we saw a grape vine which wasn't nearly as pretty but definitely produces something much more delicious and yummy! We saw Beech, Maple and Birch trees. We saw a beautiful hawk. You have to have an awesome awesome awesome eye to find some of the DEER Tracks the guide showed us! I never would have seen the tracks in a million years... even if I was trying! We saw some old foundation of a home from the 1800's. It was just an awesome trip and we found 4 letterboxes.

I can't wait to find more! I have already printed out 6 boxes in a state park near my parent's house in Florida which I am hoping to locate when we take our trip to their house next month!


Give it a try! Let me know how it goes! OR.. let me know about your recent letterbox finds!

1 comment:

  1. I've never even heard of this before!!! It sounds really cool though- I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete